In my last blog post I talked about the top 10 paper items you should keep indefinitely. Here is an additional 10 items that I recommend you keep for an indefinite period of time.
- Settlement agreements, claims and any litigation documents
- Tax assessment notices including those for property tax assessments
- Mortgage and lien documents for your home or rental properties
- Loan documents
- Marriage certificates and licenses
- Investment records showing beneficiaries
- Education records and transcripts
- Military records
- Medical records and updates
Remember that laws are constantly in a state of flux and circumstances can change. It’s always better to be safe than sorry, especially when you are shredding documents. Therefore be sure to check with the appropriate legal or financial advisers before disposing of anything.